Red Ace Squadron is an old-school combat flight simulator based around WW1 bi-planes. Different from many other flight simulators, Red Ace Squadron makes of simplicity a high priority. That is why you’ll be playing this fun game with simple controls and few keys to learn, the emphasis is on intense action and exciting aerial maneuvers.
The graphics development is very good and the design is superb. It’s like you travel back in time to the World War and are flying in the old continent.
There are two main modes to play the game: Single Player and Multiplayer. Single Player mode allows you to play a number of missions either for the Allied side or the Central Powers forces, while Multiplayer mode allows you to dogfight against other real human beings via the Internet or a LAN connection.
Missions which are not yet available to play are marked "TOP SECRET", and must be unlocked by completing earlier missions first. Each mission begins with a briefing, which will outline the goals which must be completed for the mission to be a success. On some missions you will also be given a choice of planes to fly.
Completing both campaigns - the Allied Forces and the Central Powers - allows access to "Master Mode". This is a special version of the Single Player mode with more enemies and an increased difficulty level to provide an extra challenge for seasoned fliers. Further bonuses can be unlocked by completing all missions in this mode.
Regarding to game controls this game offers different control schemes to know:
- Mouse & Keyboard controls: you play combining these two peripherals devices.
- Keyboard control only: you play controlling everything from the keyboard (good for laptops).
- Joystick controls: all controls will be controlled via the joystick. Throttle will be on 'axis 3'. If this is inconvenient use Joystick with Keys
Since it’s not a new game system requirements are pretty low, even more, it’s not a game designed for Windows Vista. It can work fine though. Here’s a list of minimum requirements for you to check if your system meets them:
• Windows 95b / 98 / ME / 2000 / XP
• Intel Pentium II 233 or equivalent
• 32Mb RAM
• Supported 3D Accelerator Card (8Mb minimum)
• 60MB Free hard disk space
• SoundBlaster or DirectSound compatible sound card
• Microsoft compatible Mouse
• Red Ace Squadron supports Direct3D compatible cards with the following chipsets:
o 3Dfx Voodoo 3, 5
o Rage 128, Rage 128 Pro, Rage Maxx, Radeon
o Matrox G400, G450, G550
o Nvidia Riva TNT, TNT2, Vanta, GeForce, Quadro, GeForce 2, GeForce 3
o S3 Savage 3D, Savage S4, Savage2000
o PowerVR Kyro, Kyro 2
- It's a multiplayer game, via LAN and/or Internet
- It's available to purchase online
- It offers a very affordable price
- It offers many control options
- Windows Vista is not supported
- It's available in English only
- Players can't customize planes